The Dominica High Court today once again stayed the extradition of fugitive Indian businessman Mehul Choksi, wanted in India in the Rs 13,500-crore Punjab National Bank (PNB) fraud case.
Justice ME Birney Stephenson in his order has asked Choksi to remain in Dominica for the time being. is. The court has said that the next hearing in this case related to Choksi has been scheduled on June 2.
The court’s ruling came during the hearing of the habeas corpus petition filed by Mehul Choksi’s lawyers.
The Dominican court further said that Choksi must be taken to the Dominica China Friendship Hospital for medical care and administration of the COVID-19 test.
Choksi, wanted in India by the CBI and ED in a Rs 13,500-crore PNB loan fraud case, went missing from Antiga and Barbuda on Sunday but was nabbed in Dominica on Wednesday after extensive searches.
Earlier in the day, Choksi’s lawyer in India, Vijay Aggarwal, told IANS, a Dominica court filed a habeas corpus petition titled Mehul Choksi v Attorney General of Commonwealth and Police Chief to remove Choksi from Dominica land until further orders. Has ordered a stay on.
Last night, Aggarwal said that Choksi was forcibly boarded from Antigua in a ship and taken to Dominica.
He also claimed that there were marks of use of force on Choksi’s body.
“There is something wrong and I think a strategy has been adopted to take them to another place so that there is a possibility of sending them back to India,” the lawyer said. Therefore, I do not know which forces are working, only time will tell.
However, Antiga Police Commissioner Attlee Rodney dismissed the claims of Choksi’s lawyer and said he had no information to take them forcibly.