I am ready to take the responsibility of 5000 murders… Prachanda is now the hunter of Nepali Supreme Court, case will be registered
Nepal’s Supreme Court has ordered registration of a writ petition against Prime Minister Pushpa Kamal Dahal Prachanda, who claimed responsibility for the death of 5,000 people during the decade-long insurgency. Hearing an appeal against the Supreme Court administration’s decision to dismiss the petitions filed by two lawyers, a bench of justices Ishwar Prasad Khativada and Hari Prasad Fuyal on Friday ordered the court’s administration to register the petition.
Nepali Supreme Court ordered
Advocates Gyanendra Aran and Kalyan Budhathoki, the victims of the conflict, had filed separate petitions but the court administration refused to register them on November 10 last year. The insurgency began on 13 February 1996 and officially ended on 21 November 2006 following a comprehensive peace agreement with the government.
Prachanda himself has accepted the allegation of 5000 murders
On January 15, 2020, at an event in Kathmandu, Prachanda said, “I am accused of killing 17,000 people, which is not true. However, I am ready to take the responsibility of killing 5,000 people during the struggle.” Prachanda had said that the responsibility of the remaining 12,000 murders should be taken by the feudal government. The victims have demanded that the court take necessary legal action against Prachanda for the murders he himself has confessed to.
Maoist movement caused havoc in Nepal
Thousands of lives were lost in the Maoist insurgency during the monarchy in Nepal. Then the Maoists wanted to capture the power of Nepal through armed struggle. The leadership of this faction was in the hands of Prachanda. People were killed at the behest of Prachanda. Several government officials were attacked and properties were also damaged. After the end of the monarchy, Prachanda had also demanded to include his fighters in the Nepalese army.