Today, an emergency meeting of the executive of Avadh Bar Association was held under the chairmanship of Shri Anand Mani Tripathi, President of Avadh Bar Association, which was moderated by Shri Manoj Kumar Mishra, General Secretary Avadh Bar Association, in which it was decided to abstain from work tomorrow, 11 September 2023 (Monday). The decision was taken.
The resolution states:
- Avadh Bar Association is our organization which has been working since 1901 and has actively participated in protecting the rights and freedom of the poor, oppressed and oppressed class. It is the Awadh Bar Association which always plays the role of a bridge between the oppressed class and the benches that provide them justice. While working for the oppressed and oppressed class we are also aware of our rights and the rights of the members of the legal fraternity.
- It is the Awadh Bar Association that has taken the initiative to stand for what is right and proper, we also draw and explain what is a fine line between what is fair and reasonable. Working as a soldier to protect rights and freedoms, we cannot allow any organization, institution or any machinery to oppress the black-clad soldiers across the country. Any movement which will affect the rights and independence of the lawyer will not be ignored by the Avadh Bar Association, Lucknow.
- Avadh Bar Association, through its various resolutions, has strongly condemned the brutal incident of “lathi charge” on lawyers that occurred on 29.08.2023. On the same day, Avadh Bar Association in an emergency meeting condemned the action of the state machinery in Hapur through its resolution dated 29.08.2023 and resolved that we will boycott the judicial work on 30.08.2023.
- The Awadh Bar Association and the entire fraternity in the High Court Lucknow stood in solidarity with the brothers and sisters in Hapur. This was the beginning of the Awadh Bar Association which inspired all the various Bar Associations of Uttar Pradesh and other states of the country to join our movement, which was later joined by the parent body of lawyers in Uttar Pradesh, the Bar Council of Uttar Pradesh State.
- The Awadh Bar Association, in its resolution, made a clear demand for an independent, impartial, special investigation team to investigate the brutal incidents, which were duly recorded and widely witnessed in the country. Furthermore, we requested for strict and stringent action against the guilty personnel of the district administration in Hapur.
- The Bar Council of Uttar Pradesh in its resolution dated 03.09.2023 decided that the members of the fraternity will remain away from judicial work for the next period of three days, i.e. on the dates 04.09.2023, 05.09.2023, 06.09.2023, Advocate in Lucknow Showed complete solidarity with brothers and sisters in Hapur and abstained from judicial work and all judicial work in the state of Uttar Pradesh was stopped.
- The actions to be taken by the various members of the Association were specified in the resolution dated 03.09.2023 by the Bar Council of Uttar Pradesh, they were to submit a demand letter to the various District Authorities and it was decided on 05.09.2023 that a peaceful Protest and effigy of Chief Secretary Uttar Pradesh and Director General of Police will be burnt in a peaceful manner till 06.09.2023. A decision was taken by the Bar Council of Uttar Pradesh to hold peaceful protests and complete boycott from judicial work.
- Avadh Bar Association in its resolution dated 03.09.2023 demanded that the State Government initiate strict action against the district administration personnel in Hapur and constitute a SIT including a judicial member to make the investigation independent and impartial.
- On 04.09.2023, the Hon’ble Chief Justice of Uttar Pradesh took suo motu cognizance of the incidents and events and to our surprise, the Bar Council of Uttar Pradesh, concerned Bar Associations were requested by the Bench to introspect. State. Hon’ble High Court, Allahabad asked the lawyers to work respecting the law laid down by the Supreme Court. Also asked not to take any untoward step and to return to work immediately. However, a retired Chief Justice, Family Court was also directed to join as a member of the SIT constituted by the state government.
- Lawyers and fraternity members across the country united and stuck to our resolutions and the demand letter was widely circulated through social media and WhatsApp across the country.
- A miscellaneous application was filed before the specially constituted bench by the Bar Council of Uttar Pradesh on 09.09.2023 and heard in the chamber which heard the application of the Bar Council of Uttar Pradesh dated 07.09.2023, in respect of I had my complaints. The incident will be placed before a Committee headed by Hon’ble Shri Justice Manoj Kumar Gupta, comprising Hon’ble Shri Justice Rajan Roy, Hon’ble Shri Justice Faiz Alam Khan, Advocate General, Chairman Bar Council of Uttar Pradesh, Chairman. High Court Bar Association Allahabad.
- Meanwhile, the Bar Council of Uttar Pradesh also held its meeting and all the elected members of the Bar Council of Uttar Pradesh appeared before the apex body to raise the grievances and plight of the lawyers at large in the state of Uttar Pradesh. It is sad to see that a state of confusion and anarchy is prevalent among the members of the Bar Council of Uttar Pradesh through various letters and posts on WhatsApp and social media networks. Those members are seen clarifying their stand through various posts and letters.
- The Awadh Bar Association does not appreciate the way the parent body of lawyers functions. The work and pattern is based on the statement to fade away the issue at hand.
- Awadh Bar Association has always stood for what is right and equitable and will not hesitate to say that the stand adopted by the institution and machinery is completely ignorant of our plight and struggle to achieve justice in the present incident.
- It was unfortunate that the Hapur Bar Association, vide its resolution dated 10.09.2023, had to write to various Bar Associations again, requesting support from them and the members of the fraternity.
- We have seen that the people in black have always stood up against injustice, it was the people in black who contributed extensively in the freedom struggle and in the making of the rule book of fundamental rights and duties i.e. our Constitution. We will not hesitate to say that we will stand in full solidarity with our brothers and sisters. Therefore, in the light of the above, the members of the Executive Committee and Governing Council resolve that we will abstain from judicial work on 11.09.2023.
- A meeting is scheduled at the Avadh Bar Association on 11.09.2023 at 4.30 pm to decide the further action. Abstaining from work will depend on the decision of the state government.